Thursday, February 23, 2017

From Storm Clouds To Sunny Skies

Today as I was driving to an out of town doctor's appointment it looked like I was driving into a bad storm. There were dark, heavy clouds above me and it started pouring rain. I was filled with dread as I got onto the highway, wondering if I would be slowed down and late to my appointment. As I drove further, I was convinced that I would be driving through blinding rain all the way to my doctor's appointment.

All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast. ~Proverbs 15:15

Then an amazing thing happened. All of the sudden, the rain let up and the sky was filled with bright white clouds which after 5 minutes became a blue sky with sunshine. The rain was gone, and it was now a sunny day.

How often have we done that in life? I know I have come across an uncertain, potentially bad situation and jumped to the worst conclusions, letting my mind run away with me thinking about worst case scenarios. Does this sound familiar? It is too easy to project into the future and speculate as to what will happen and could go wrong.

It is so easy to consider all the negative possibilities but why are we so fast to think about the negative possibilities and not the positive ones? We spend so much time preparing ourselves for the worst instead of trusting in a God who has never broken a promise to us, and who loves us so very much.

In Luke 12, we are told that we need not worry and that we will always be taken care of. In fact, we are told to seek His kingdom, and God will be glad to give it to us! What an amazing promise that is! So then why do we wait for the other shoe to drop? Could it be that our minds are trained to do this? I think this is very possible. In a fallen world where we hear about awful things happening every day, it is so easy to believe that the worst will happen. What we don't factor into the equation is the God who is in control and can do anything!

Have you had times in your life when God brought sunshine instead of storms after rain and dark clouds? I sure have. When the uncertain times come in your life, remember and hold onto these wonderful surprises that God has brought you. They have come to you before and they will most certainly come again.

Let us pray: Father God, We thank You that You are a God that loves us so much that You want to give us so much. You want to give us Your kingdom here on earth. You tell us that where our hearts are, there will be our treasures. My treasure is with You my Lord and Savior. Thank you for all the blessings and good in my life. Help me to trust You more. Help my unbelief. Help me to believe that dark clouds can still turn into sunny days in Your hands. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.


No comments: