Friday, September 30, 2016

Replacing Fear With Faith


     
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. ~Hebrews 11:1

Someone recently asked me how my fears no longer become rooted in me. That’s when I realized what a miracle that is. Since I started with chronic, rare illnesses a few years back, the fears have been very real. Life changed very quickly in ways I couldn’t imagine. Other people I got to know with the same illnesses lost their spouses. I started fearing losing mine. As crazy symptoms surfaced which even my doctors couldn’t explain, I feared what would happen to me.

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. ~ Psalm 56:3

As all of this happened, I fell to my knees. I turned to God in a much deeper way than I had before.  I went from being so busy to being quiet and still, something I hadn’t done before. My husband was shaken up by what happened too. We started reading the Bible together almost every night and we still do. I didn’t just pray, I talked to God throughout the day. I started prayer journaling. I joined Bible studies, and if they didn’t focus enough on the right things, I quit. The days I stayed focused on God were my good days. I started learning that I was weak but He could be my strength. I started realizing that He didn’t want me to strive, but to come to Him, and let Him work in and through me. These were revelations to me
.
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.  ~ Romans 10:17

I had some real trust issues from trauma in my past. I probably always will to some degree where people are concerned. God has healed my trust when it comes to Him. “He” is the key word for me. I can’t fix myself. I can’t replace my fear with faith, but He can. He does this for me every day when I ask Him to. He is healing me and fixing what He chooses to fix as I ask Him to, as long as I don’t get in the way. I did not think it was possible to stop worrying, not me. I used to be the one that would be up at night scrutinizing my day. I don’t worry anymore, not really. The reason is because I lay my burdens at Jesus’ feet every night. Yes, I do take them back, and then I go back and do it again. The Lord has been helping me to get better at this. He has helped me so much already! One day at a time, for each morning His mercies are new!

Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. ~Lamentations 3:23

I am far from perfect and I do have my bad days.  There are still times I get caught up in the wrong things, namely worldly things. I repent, and I go back to doing what works best and is right. It’s the only thing that is right- because I choose Him.  And I remember my new motto –Not me but He!

 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~ Phillipians 4:7


No comments: